Wednesday, March 9, 2022

Hot Glue Variable Transformer

I bought a Variable Transformer in early 2021. I got to the point in my life where I really needed one for my projects. I turned to ebay and got a the cheapest one available 79.99 canadian dollars delivered.

 Had tons of fun with it since.

Chinese Variac

You can see me use it in this video where I tested an urban legend about bingo machines and variacs.


I use the transformer all the time to power my japanese domestic market 100V machines. I don't see the point of buying a dedicated step down transformer when I have the variac on hand.

One day I noticed that the power cord was loose in it's grommet where it enters the unit.

I didn't want to accidentally snag the power cord and rip the wires inside so I went in for a emergency bodge job.

Removed two screws that held the front panel to get inside the unit and discovered a lot of the components were held in by hot glue. 

Hot Snot

The power cord "grommet" was just a generous application of hot snot!

More Hot Snot

I replaced the hot snot grommet by a zip tie "grommet" that will at least stop the power cord from pulling out.

Actually, having a look inside the unit, the general build quality is a bit scheisse imo.

You get what you pay for.

Quality!

Put it in H